Brimstone Fortress is a British military post built in the mid 1600's on St. Kitts. Today, it is a national park. We stopped here on our self guided driving tour around the island. After pulling onto a road that looked like a Texas back road and successfully honking through several tight turns, we made it to the top of the mountain. We ate at the snack bar (not recommended) and took a walking tour of the fort. One thing that is still the same about the fort is that there is no running water... all the water is captured rain water using a similar system they did in the 1600's. Needless to say, the views were amazing.
That sounds pretty cool. You know, you never hear about people doing historical tourism on their island vacations. I'm glad I know about this fort now. Maybe I will see it some day...
ReplyDelete